Thursday, March 06, 2008

Wow....has it been nearly a month??

Just dropping in to say that so much has happened since my last post. The main thing is that I have pulled Braden out of school to homeschool him. I had originally intended to do that anyway, and as a matter of fact, he belonged to a homeschool co-op for preschool when he was 4. When we moved to where we live now, a private Christian school was getting ready to open so we thought it would be a great idea to put him there. After 6 months of him attending, we decided it would be best to make a change of plans. I don't mean to brag.....(ok, yes I do ;-) )but he is on the advanced side and was having more and more trouble with boredom. While the other kids were still learning their letter sounds, he was reading fluently. While they were doing 2+2 and 3+3, he was coming home and begging me to do adding and subtracting in the hundreds and even multiplication! I tried to let him finish out the year, but his frustration came to the point that I could no longer stand to see him that way. We've been homeschooling for a couple of weeks now and he LOVES it. He always asks "When can we get started?" and "What's next?" He asks more questions about how things work every day. It's so encouraging to see him that excited about learning again! I know that some people think that I am crazy for making this decision. Yes, there is less time for "me" stuff. And let me make it clear that I am no super-mom. Things have changed and will continue to change. Some will go on the back burner for now (including my scrapbooking until I get this thing down). But I think I am doing what any mother does for her child. Sacrificing. And if I am in a situation where I can do something to help my child, why wouldn't I? I'm not saying that he will never go back to school. I don't know what lies ahead. But I can say this -- we are loving where we are right now!

2 comments:

nicole said...

wow you are a brave woman :)
but I totally do understand the point about figure out (and doing) what is best for your kids - and good for you for figuring it out and actually taking action!

vickiw said...

HIGH 5 I just wanted to wish you the best of times homeschooling Braden. My daughter was having the same trouble so we decided to keep her home in 4th grade. She went on to cessecfully homeschool through high school and is now a successful sr. in college. Every year I would say we'll see about next year.haha I just stumbled on your sight so I guess I found it so I could encourage you. 3 cheers to you and your hubby and congratulations on his baptism also.

Free Blog Counter